Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions2022-09-03T20:09:38-06:00
How do I start counseling?2020-04-15T23:51:43-06:00

Please use the contact form and I will reply to you within 48-hours on business days. We can review if we are a good therapeutic team, making sure my skills and experience are a good fit to your needs.

How much does therapy cost?2020-04-16T00:02:55-06:00

Private Pay: The standard individual counseling session fee is $120.00.  Please request information and we can send you a complete list of services and fees.

Maribel is In-Network with BCBS, Aetna and Molina Marketplace and can submit your claim electronically. If your plan has a deductible, your session would be Private Pay until deductible is reached, after that you would pay your plan’s co-pay.

If you have a different insurance, we can still work together! Some plans have Out-of-Network Benefits which may cover mental health services. Your cost would be Private Pay fee for your sessions, I would provide you a “Super Bill” which you would submit to your insurance company. Please contact your insurance for instructions on how to seek reimbursement directly through them.

I can send you my National Provider Number and the sessions billing codes for when you call your insurance.

For session payments we accept, cash, debit or credit cards or Health Saving Accounts cards.

How often do we schedule sessions?2020-04-16T00:03:55-06:00

For therapy to help create change, weekly appointments are encouraged at least in the beginning of treatment.  Once we reach a maintenance stage where your symptoms have improved, we can space out sessions so you can use your skills.  Over time, we pause or terminate sessions as we decide your symptoms are reduced or resolved to your satisfaction.

What is the first session like?2020-04-16T00:11:45-06:00

Our first meeting is called an “Intake Session” and we will gather more information on your concerns and history of symptoms or difficulties.  We will establish at least one or two areas of improvement to focus the treatment and reach your goals.

Prior to beginning treatment, Minds In Action Counseling will send you the intake paperwork via our online secure system Simple Practice. Please complete this paperwork at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment.

What do I do after each session?2020-04-16T00:13:18-06:00

Many clients leave session thinking about or processing the content, feelings or thoughts which were explored.  I recommend reviewing your session during the week and writing a few thoughts or questions for your next appointment to continue staying focused on your goals. Sometimes you will have something to read or practice such as an article, a book we decide together on, or a homework activity.

What if I need to cancel or reschedule my appointment?2020-04-16T00:14:28-06:00

We are happy to reschedule with at least 24 hours’ notice. If an appointment is cancelled with less than 24 hours’ notice, or a client fails to show up there will be a fee charged for the missed appointment.

What does LPC-S, LPC-A, RPT-S, NCC stand for?2020-12-19T12:15:07-06:00

A Licensed Professional Counselor-Supervisor has earned a Master’s Degree in Counseling or related Mental Health field, and completed all requirements established by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to practice independently. In addition, to be a Supervisor they attend a 40-hour course to be able to supervise LPC-Associates.

A fully Licensed Professional Counselor can accept insurance as a form of payment for clients.

A Licensed Professional Counselor-Associate is used interchangeably with “LPC-Intern”. This license is issued by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors to fulfill the supervised experience requirement for becoming a full LPC. They have earned a Master’s Degree in Counseling or related Mental Health field. They have completed all State requirements and can render client services and accumulate the required practice hours under a State Approved Supervisor.

A Registered Play Therapist-Supervisor is someone who is a License holder in the field of Mental Health, such as a Licensed Professional Counselor and it “represents an advanced level of expertise, as evidenced by ongoing practice and continued education, in the field of play therapy. As with one’s primary license, it is important to recognize experience informs supervisory practice and that advanced clinical skills are needed before one may supervise others under the RPT-S designation. Therefore, the RPT-S credential is granted when one has held the RPT designation for a minimum of three consecutive years in good standing and with documentation of additional play therapy experience, education, and supervision.”  Play Therapy Association www.4APT.org

NCC-Nationally Certified Counselor

Can sessions be in English and Spanish?2020-04-16T00:16:38-06:00

Maribel speaks both languages fluently, the goal is to fully express your feelings and thoughts, and thus we will use your preferred language.

What if I still have questions?2020-04-16T00:17:41-06:00

Please use the contact form and send me your questions, I will reply within 48 hours on business days. Please don’t send confidential information.