I generally follow this order when working with couples, but can modify based on their needs:
- Week 1: Each person does an individual session alone with me (50-55 minutes)
- Week 2: Couple comes to their first joint session and we do “Oral History Interview” (90-120 minutes recommended, can be scheduled in two parts if needed).
- After their first session together, couple completes a Gottman Assessment-Questionnaire, they receive a link via email, they sign up and pay the Gottman Institute directly. I receive the results, to prepare the treatment plan. I don’t profit from their fee. Your session fee covers treatment plan development.
- Week 3: We review the treatment plan and choose what area to work on first. I encourage weekly sessions until couple is using the tools with more proficiency and then we can space out the sessions. (90-120 minutes a week recommended; we can schedule accordingly)
- If one of the spouses has other issues to work on individually such as depression, anxiety, difficulty regulating frustration or anger, among others we can add individual session in addition to couple’s sessions or that spouse may choose another therapist for this need.